Thursday, January 10, 2013
My brother-in-law was very generous and gave us a ham dinner for New Years! Needless to say, there were a lot of leftovers! I wanted to try a different soup with the leftover ham then I usually make. I usually go the route of bean soup but I wanted to do potato this time! It turned out really good! Even my son Jack liked it and that is saying something! He is very picky! The recipe is below! Enjoy!
- 4 cups water
- 1 large ham bone
- 2 1/4 cups potatoes, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, halved
- 2 1/4 cups ham, cubed
- 1 medium onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Boil ham bone in 4 cups of water in large stock pot for approx 1 hour. (If omitting this step use 4 chicken bouillon or 4 cups chicken broth instead).
- Remove ham bone and strain stock to remove any debris.
- Boil the 2 med potatoes halved in stock until softened, remove to separate bowl.
- Combine 2 1/4 cups diced potatoes, 1 med onion and 3 minced garlic cloves and add to stock. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until potatoes are tender.
- Mash 2 halved potatoes with small amount of milk and add to stock (helps to thicken).
- In separate pan, melt butter. Add in flour a tablespoon at a time to make a roux or paste. Add milk and blend well to make a cream sauce.
- Simmer cream sauce for 2 minutes. Add cheese and blend well. Mixture will be very gooey.
- Add cheese blend to soup and gently mix to combine.
- I also added a little sour cream before serving!
Here is the link to recipe if you need nutritional info!
Thursday, January 03, 2013
It has been a while since I have posted anything on my blog. I have been very busy with work and school and have just not found the time or I have just not been motivated! With the holidays over and school on break I find myself home alone! Jack went back to school today after being off for Christmas break. He took his new tablet with him....I hope it works out for him. He got a Colby Kyros for Christmas. Of course he was disappointed at first because it was not an IPad or a Kindle. I am sorry but I am not comfortable sending him to school with the tablets that are that expensive. The Colby does everything that he needs it too for now. I am pleased with it. Nick is home on break but has been staying with a friend in NC for the past couple of days. He should be back today. We are working on getting him straightened out before he heads back to USC for a second semester. He did very badly first semester. Worse case scenario. I feel like I am taking a gamble on a second semester but he is adamant about doing better. Heather moved out the weekend before Christmas. I am very happy for her! I know she will do well. Of course her car is acting up and needed to go to the repair shop! These are the things you have to deal with as an independent young woman! Dennis has applied for a new position at work. Hopefully we will get some positive news back on that. I can't complain...life is good! We just keep moving forward! Happy New Year!